Chili Con Carne
Simmering the meat and spices with Karo® Syrup helps mellow the chile flavor.
Prep Time: 20 minutes
Cook Time: 1 to 2 hours
Yield: 12 servings
- 1 tablespoon Mazola® Corn Oil
- 1 pound lean chuck OR round steak, cut in 1/4-inch cubes
- 1 cup sliced onion
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1/2 cup Karo® Dark Corn Syrup
- 2 to 3 tablespoons chili powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin seed
- 2 cans (15-1/2 ounces each) diced tomatoes
- 2 cans (15 ounces each) kidney beans, drained
- 1 can (15 ounces) pinto beans, drained
- 1 can (4 ounces) diced green chilies
- Heat oil in a 5-quart Dutch oven over medium heat. Add onion and garlic; sauté 4 to 5 minutes until tender but not browned. Remove from pan. Add beef and brown on all sides.
Return onion and garlic to the pan. Add corn syrup, chili powder and cumin. Bring to a boil, stirring frequently. Stir in tomatoes, beans and chilies. Reduce heat. Simmer 1 to 2 hours or until thickened and meat is tender.