Prep Time: 15 minutes
Cook Time: 90 minutes
Chill Time: (cool time) 60 minutes
Yield: 2 pounds
- 1-1/2 cups Karo® Light or Dark Corn Syrup
- 2 cups heavy or whipping cream, divided
- 1 cup milk
- 2 cups sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup chopped nuts (optional)
- 1 tablespoon Spice Islands® 100% Pure Bourbon Vanilla Extract
- Spray 8- or 9-inch square baking pan with cooking spray.
- Combine corn syrup, 1 cup cream, milk, sugar and salt in a 4-quart saucepan. Bring to boil over medium-low heat, stirring occasionally.
- Reduce heat but continue to boil, stirring occasionally, until temperature on candy thermometer reaches 234°F or small amount of mixture dropped into very cold water forms a soft ball which flattens on removal.
- Gradually add remaining 1 cup cream in a thin steady stream, stirring constantly.
- Continue cooking over low heat, stirring frequently until temperature on candy thermometer reaches 244°F or small amount of mixture dropped into very cold water forms a firm ball which does not flatten on removal. Remove from heat.
- Stir in nuts and vanilla. Pour into prepared pan. (NOTE: Do NOT scrape side of saucepan.) Cool on wire rack for at least 1 hour until caramel is room temperature.
- Invert cooled candy onto cutting board. If candy sticks, heat bottom of pan slightly to release from pan; cool before cutting. Cut into 1-inch squares. Wrap squares individually in waxed paper or plastic wrap. Store in tightly-covered container.