Prep Time: 20 minutes
Cook Time: 1 to 2 hours
Yield: 12 servings
- 1 tablespoon Mazola® Corn Oil
- 1 pound lean chuck OR round steak, cut into 1/4-inch cubes
- 1 cup sliced onion
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1/2 cup Karo® Dark Corn Syrup
- 2 tablespoons Spice Islands® Chili Powder
- 1 teaspoon Spice Islands® Ground Cumin
- 2 cans (15-1/2 ounces each) diced tomatoes
- 2 cans (15 ounces each) kidney beans, drained
- 1 can (15 ounces) pinto beans, drained
- 1 can (4 ounces) diced green chiles
- Heat oil in a 5-quart Dutch oven over medium heat. Add onion and garlic; sauté 4 to 5 minutes until tender but not browned. Remove from pan. Add beef and brown on all sides.
- Return onion and garlic to the pan. Add corn syrup, chili powder and cumin. Bring to a boil, stirring frequently. Stir in tomatoes, beans and chilies. Reduce heat. Simmer 1 to 2 hours or until thickened and meat is tender.
- Recipe Note: Simmering the meat and spices with Karo® Syrup helps mellow the chile flavor.