Prep Time: 1 hour
Cook Time: 40 minutes
Yield: 1 pound
- 2 1/2 cups sugar
- 1/2 cup Karo® Light Corn Syrup
- 1/2 cup water
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 egg whites, at room temperature
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 cup chopped nuts (optional)
- In 2-quart saucepan combine sugar, Karo, water and salt. Stirring constantly, bring to boil over medium heat. Without stirring, cook over low heat (small to medium bubbles
breaking across surface of liquid) until temperature on candy thermometer reaches 260°F or small amount of mixture dropped into very cold water forms a hard ball which doesn’t flatten until pressed, about 40 minutes.
- When temperature reaches 260°F, in large bowl with mixer at
high speed, beat egg whites until stiff peaks form. Beating at
high speed, gradually add hot syrup in a thin, steady stream.
DO NOT SCRAPE SIDE OF SAUCEPAN. Continue beating at high speed until mixture begins to lose its gloss, about 3 minutes.
- Reduce speed to low. Beat in vanilla. Continue beating at low speed until mixture holds a peak and does not spread when dropped from a spoon, about 8 minutes. (If mixture becomes too stiff for mixer, beat with wooden spoon.) Immediately stir in
- Working quickly, drop mixture by teaspoonfuls onto waxed paper*. If desired, garnish with walnut pieces or candied cherries. Let stand until set. Store in tightly-covered
* OR, spread in 8- or 9-inch square baking pan lined with square baking pan lined with plastic wrap. If desired, garnish with walnut pieces or candied cherries. Cool on wire rack. Cut into squares. Store in tightly-covered container.